Saturday, November 11, 2006

How Did This Happen? Part One

Either way, I'm here now doin' what I do best: tellin' stories.

I arrived on this tiny wooden box-ridden stack of pixels we call the teen grid two summers ago with high hopes and a modest 20 grand. Expecting the worst I set out on what would quickly become a noteworthy journey. Everything looked the same was it had back on the Main Grid. As a matter of fact, upon arriving in the welcome area I took some time to wander around the Linden-made builds. It brought back some memories from a year earlier when I first stepped into Second Life, not entirely sure about what I was doing.

My first thought? "How did this happen?" followed by: "What am I getting myself into? Look at all these n00bs!" Having come from the Main Grid I naturally felt superior to all these silly TGers who hadn't been playing as long me.

But still. I was lonely.

Not a familiar face in the mob of emo-fied newbie avatars. I set off to find out what this place was all about, and I was soon up to my neck in nostalgia. I flew the length of the entire grid in less then 15 minutes, and having seen everything there was to see, landed at the very end of the world, Bull. Looking out at the never ending blue abyss I noticed what seemed to be a big floating raft. Upon closer inspection, it turned out to be a store floating on a number of wooden planks haphazardly tethered together. I stood there for awhile, not entirely sure what to do, when I was greeted by the owner, Neco Rocco.

Surprisingly, I had known Neco from a year prior. He had been a fellow sandbox bum during my formative building year, and we recognized each other immediately. Apparently he had been discovered to be under 18 on the Main Grid like myself. We quickly traded cards and sat down to talk. It had been months since we had last spoken with one another, and I had never been particularly fond of him, but he welcomed me nonetheless.

Things were looking up.

1 comment:

Jackson Krupp said...

interesting story, I'm waiting for part 2 bitch. looking good so far, keep it up - peace